A glass-top stove is an attractive kitchen appliance because the burners are built into the glass, creating a clear, smooth surface. It's important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for care and maintenance of a glass hob to avoid scorching or scratching the glass surface. Some cleaners, cleaning pads, cookware and utensils can be harmful to a glass hob. If you use only manufacturer recommended cookware and cleaners, you may be able to keep your glass hob scratch free. If you get scratches, a do-it-yourself repair is possible.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Baking soda
- 2 soft cloths
- Glass cleaner
Sprinkle baking soda on the scratch. Use just enough to cover the scratch. It only takes a small amount.
Buff the scratch with the baking soda, rubbing back and forth the whole length of the scratch.
Wet a soft cloth with tap water. Get the cloth damp, but not soaking wet.
Wipe up the baking soda with the cloth. Be sure to remove all of it.
Dry the area with a soft towel.
Spray glass cleaner over the entire hob.
Wipe the hob with a soft cloth.
Tips and warnings
- Keep diamond rings and other gemstones away from the glass hob when you are cooking or cleaning the stove.
- Make sure the bottoms of your cookware are dry and clean before you place them on the hob.
- Do not use aluminium foil on the glass hob.
- Keep the heat at the lowest possible setting for that particular food to avoid foods boiling over onto the stove.
- Wipe up spills from the stove immediately before they have time to dry.
- According to Cookware Manufacturers Association, you should use heavily weighted pots that have flat bottoms on your glass hob. Don't use cookware with coloured bottoms because if the food overheats, the paint from the cookware can damage the hob.
- Do not use metal cleaning pads, scouring pads, oven cleaners or rust removers on your glass hob.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for