How to get a certified copy of your passport

Updated April 17, 2017

National governments issue passports to certify the identity and nationality of the holder for purposes of international travel. In the United States, these documents are issued to any American citizen by the State Department. U.S. passports may be used to verify your identification for many purposes. Under U.S. law, you have the right to obtain copies of passports in your own name and those of your minor children. You may request these copies through the U.S. Department of State.

Submit a typed or clearly printed notarised request for your passport if it was issued after 1925. This document must provide the following information: your full name at birth and any subsequent changes, date and place of birth, current mailing address, daytime telephone number, e-mail address if available, reason for the request, dates or estimated dates your passport was issued, passport numbers, and a copy of the requester's valid photo identification. If this document is not notarised, you must pay a search fee.

Include a check or money order made payable to "Department of State" for the amount of the certification fee. All certified copies of passports require an extra fee for certification.

Mail your request to the following address: Department of State Passport Services Research and Liaison Section Room 500 1111 19th Street, NW Washington, D.C. 20525-1705

Contact the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) if your passport was issued before 1925 by telephone toll free (866) 272-6272.

Wait for your request to be processed and your certified copy to be mailed to you.


Copies of passports will not include evidence of international travel because this information is entered into the passport book after it is issued.

Things You'll Need

  • Notary service
  • Check or money order for certification fee
  • Envelope
  • Postage
Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Marci Sothern has written as a tutor in the academic field since 1999. She holds a bachelor's degree in history and a master's degree in political science from the University of Texas at Tyler. Her main areas of expertise include American history, comparative politics, international relations and political theory.