An outdoor deck is an inviting place for residents and their guests to congregate. When a deck is constructed around a man-made pond or fountain pool, the combination of deck and pond enhances the view. Because a garden pond is generally recessed in the ground, a deck should have a low profile to complement the water view rather than detract from it.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Measuring tape
- Mason's line
- Rubber mallet
- 9 precast concrete pier blocks
- 6 joist brackets
- 11 2-by-4 boards, 24 inches long
- Phillips head screwdriver bit
- Wood screws
Measure the floor plan of your deck with a measuring tape and place stakes in the ground at the corners. Tie a mason's line to the stakes, and ensure the lines at the corners are perpendicular where they meet by using a T-square.
Place precast concrete pier blocks at the corners of the decking. Place a concrete pier halfway down each side of the deck. Place the final concrete pier at the centre of the deck so that it aligns with the four piers on either side.
Seat a 2-by-4 board on one side of the decking by placing it on its side in the notches on the tops of the concrete piers. Place a second board on its side in a second set of piers so that the end abuts the first board. Attach the boards at the abutting ends by using a joist bracket and wood screws.
Repeat this process for each side. Place a final board down the centre of the concrete piers and attach it at each end where it touches the other boards by using joist brackets. The frame of boards you have just constructed creates what is called a floating foundation.
Lay remaining 2-by-4 boards on their flat side so that they run perpendicular to the centre frame board. Space each deck board evenly across the frame boards. Attach the deck boards to the frame boards at the point they meet by hammering a nail through both boards.
Tips and warnings
- Although a low-profile deck will block most sunlight and prevent grass and weeds from growing beneath it, you also can prevent weeds from growing between the boards of the deck by placing a weed-blocking material beneath the deck.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for