All of your favourites food no longer taste the same to you, even sweets. Instead, a bitter or metallic-like taste appears to have taken over your taste buds, causing all foods and beverages to be distasteful and unbearable. Your diet has not undergone any major changes; you only added a healthy, tasty snack--pine nuts. Bitter taste buds after the consumption of pine nuts is not uncommon, however can not be accurately explained, according to scientists. One similarity among "pine mouth" victims includes the location in which the nuts originated in, thus being China. It is believed that an error occurs during the oxidation process of the pine nuts, causing the nuts to be rancid (spoiled) leaving its' consumers with a terrible bitter aftertaste that can last from two days to two weeks. Although there is no cure for those suffering with Pine Mouth, victims swear by activated charcoal tablets and liquid aloe vera.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Activated charcoal tablets
- Aloe vera juice
Take activated charcoal tablets. Relatively cheap, these tablets can be purchased at your local supermarket or health store. Activated charcoal tablets act as a natural detoxification aide that can soothe complications, such as food poisoning, indigestion, heart burn and some cardiovascular disorders. Take the daily recommended dosage of 500 to 1040 milligrams as needed with one 236ml. glass of water until the bitterness subsides. You may take this medicine up to four times daily.
Drink 227gr. of aloe vera juice twice daily as needed. This plant-derived juice can be found at most health stores and is known for its gentle digestive cleansing, antibacterial properties, anti-fungal properties, vitamins and minerals. Since Pine mouth is a result of spoiled or tainted food, aloe vera's health benefits may override the bacteria introduced into the body from consuming the nuts. Do not exceed the daily recommended dosage of aloe vera juice.
Stay hydrated. Although the flavour of water may be unpleasant, it is essential that you continue to hydrate your body. Drinking a minimum eight 236ml. glasses of water daily will allow the body to function properly. This is particularly important if your eating habits have altered due to pine mouth. The body extracts a vast majority of its daily water supply from foods consumed.
Getting Your Buds Back
Tips and warnings
- If possible, purchase 100 per cent aloe vera juice. Often chemicals and artificial flavourings are added to the juice and can produce results less effective than desired.
- Experiment with a variety of foods during this time period. Some pine mouth victims claimed eating foods with higher levels of acidity, such as vinegar on spinach leaves, was tolerable.
- Always consult your primary physician before consuming activated charcoal tablets. Activated charcoal tablets have not been deemed safe for pregnant or nursing women. Do not take this medication if you are currently on any other medication or have suffered from kidney, liver or heart disease. The most common side effect of activated charcoal tablets includes nausea. Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to charcoal. Allergy side effects include breathing difficulties, and swelling of the facial features, throat and tongue. If suspected allergic reaction occurs, seek medical attention immediately. Activated charcoal tablets must be swallowed whole. Do not crush or break the tablets.
- Always consult your primary physician before consuming aloe vera juice. Though it is not known to cause any adverse side effects, only your doctor can assess your current medical state and determine if aloe vera juice is right for you. Do not consume this juice if you are allergic to aloe vera plant.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for