Polyester fabric is strong and durable and is used to create a wide variety of items. Polyester is difficult to maintain as the fabric attracts stains, lint, wrinkles and static electricity. Static electricity clings to many fabrics, polyester in particular. According to the American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists, static is due to an imbalance of electrons on fabrics. When different fabrics touch, electrons are transferred causing an imbalance of charges. The best way to rid polyester fabric of static electricity is by using fabric softener sheets in the dryer or by manually rubbing a fabric softener sheet over the fabric.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Clothes dryer
- Fabric softener sheets
Place the polyester fabric into the clothes dryer and set the clothes dryer on a low or no heat dryer cycle.
Put a fabric softener sheet into the clothes dryer with the polyester fabric and turn on the clothes dryer.
Remove the fabric immediately and use or fold to avoid wrinkling and static electricity accumulation. Place a fabric softener sheet between the fabric layer folds if you are storing the folded polyester fabric.
Removing Static in the Dryer
Take a fabric softener sheet in one hand and hold the polyester fabric in your other hand. If there is a lot of material, spread the polyester fabric on top of a bed or table.
Rub the polyester fabric all over on the front and back lightly with a fabric softener sheet to remove the static electricity.
Use the fabric or fold the fabric and place one or two fabric softener sheets between the folded layers of polyester fabric to minimise static electricity accumulation during storage.
Removing Static from Polyester Fabric Manually
Tips and warnings
- If the polyester fabric can be washed before you use it in a project, add liquid fabric softener to the clothes washer during the wash cycle in the manufacturer's recommended amount. Liquid fabric softener will help soften polyester fabric and will reduce static electricity.
- To avoid static cling, choose fabrics with polyester and cotton blends over pure polyester fabric.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for