Using paint to change the colour of a carpet will cause the carpet to become stiff and the fibres to mat together. The better choice is use carpet dye when you need to cover stains, restore faded colour or change colours. Match original colours or choose a new colour to create new design schemes for a complete room remodel. This inexpensive process requires carpet in good condition. You can complete it over the course of three to four days.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Protective gloves
- Stiff scrub brush
- Plastic spray bottle
- Carpet dye
- Dust sheet and painter's tape
- Carpet shampoo machine (optional)
Remove all furniture from the room and any drapes that reach the floor.
Vacuum to remove dirt and grit from the carpet and use attachments to vacuum the baseboards and carpet edges.
Clean the carpet using a carpet shampoo machine, or have a professional carpet cleaner clean the carpet 24 hours before you apply the dye.
Use painter's tape to cover baseboards, and attach dust sheets to protect walls.
Mix the carpet dye per the instructions of the manufacturer. Fill a clean spray bottle with the newly mixed dye. Put on protective gloves.
Begin the dye application in the corner farthest from the door. Spray the dye onto the carpet in patches 12 to 18 inches square. Use a circular motion when spraying. Work the dye into the carpet with a stiff scrub brush. Move in a pattern that allows for easy access to exit the room at all times.
Allow the carpet to dry for 24 to 72 hours. Replace the furniture and drapes only after the carpet is dry at the base of the fibres.
Tips and warnings
- Carpet can become a deeper colour with a second application of dye. Apply only after the first application has dried.
- Dye stains anything it comes into contact with. Wear clothing and shoes that can be tossed afterward. Use protective gloves to keep hands away from dye.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for