Pear-shaped women tend to have unbalanced upper and lower body--with the upper part smaller and the lower part of the body larger. The hips are usually wider than the shoulders and weight gain is apparent below the waist. Pear-shaped women usually have flat stomachs, small chest and a small waist. The main concern in slimming a pear-shaped body is to lessen the fat around the thighs, hips and butt. This may be done with proper exercise to tone the lower body and appropriate clothing to create the illusion of a slimmer figure.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Skipping rope
- Bicycle or treadmill
- Structured clothing
Focus your exercise on balancing the top and bottom half of the body, particularly slimming down the lower body. Choose exercises that will burn as many calories as possible. Do cycling or running, as these help burn more fat on the lower part of the body. Walk for 20 minutes in the morning and another 20 minutes in the evening. Skipping rope for 20 minutes in the afternoon. Do aerobic exercise for at least 45 minutes a day.
Engage in weight training to build your upper body and make your lower body look smaller. Lift weights to build muscle mass in the upper body. Choose "light" weights and lift them for 15 to 20 repetitions. Include resistance exercises that work out the lower body in your exercise program.
Dress your pear-shaped body appropriately. Wear button-down clothes, V-necks, slim-fitting tops and clothing with an A-line silhouette. When shopping for clothes make sure that the length of the top falls just below the hipbone. Include layering in your dressing style to create visual balance between the larger and smaller part of the body.
Tips and warnings
- Wear simple and structured bottoms to create the illusion of longer legs. Trousers should be free of detail. Fabric should be stretchable and must skim along the contour of the thighs.
- If you can afford to hire a personal trainer, do so. A personal trainer can greatly help in balancing the lower and upper body more expediently.
- Don't be scared of weightlifting. Just remember not to lift weights that are too heavy; you will know that the weight is light enough if you can lift it 15 to 20 times without getting too tired.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for