The more use your paper shredder gets, the more care should be taken to clean and oil it. This will ensure a longer running life and help it run more smoothly. If you do not care for your paper shredder, it will break down sooner, and you may lose your investment. Oiling it is an easy process to follow. There are safety precautions, however, that need to be followed to make sure there are no injuries while you are lubricating it.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Shredder oil
Turn the paper shredder off and unplug it.
Clean out the paper shredder. Make sure the blades are free of paper bits and debris. Remove pieces of paper that are jammed around the blades.
Spray the shredder oil through the blade opening or throat of the shredder. Spray it in a stream.
Plug the shredder back in and switch the reverse button on. Then run it for 10 to 30 seconds in reverse to allow the blades to be saturated with shredder oil.
Put the shredder in forward motion and let it run again to disperse the oil thoroughly to all areas of the cutting blades.
Feed a couple pieces of paper through the blades to be shredded and absorb any extra shredding oil.
Tips and warnings
- Do not use other kinds of oil. Shredder oil is designed to keep dust and debris off the cutting blades. Other oil can make it cling to the blades, which will plug up the paper shredder.
- Be careful cleaning paper off the shredder blades. They are extremely sharp.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for