The prostate, a small gland, typically causes no problems for the first portion of a man's life. The prostate, found below the bladder and around the urethra, can begin to create urinary problems as it grows and creates pressure on the bladder and/or urethra. Many of the problems can stem from the benign growth of the prostate tissue. However, regular exams, especially in men over the age of 50, should be made in order to rule out prostate cancer or infection. A number of natural methods are recommended for naturally shrinking the prostate.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Zinc supplement
- Flaxseed oil supplement
- Vitamin E supplement
- Saw palmetto supplement
Sit in a hot bath, or hot tub, several times per day, if possible. The heat can help to promote healing and reduce prostate swelling.
Participate in some form of regular exercise.
Avoid sitting for long periods of time. If you noticed that the urinary issues started after sitting for extended lengths of time, or after an activity such as bike riding, alter your activities.
Try to avoid taking cold medications, including antihistamines and/or decongestants.
Reduce your consumption of alcoholic beverages, especially beer. Alcohol can affect one of the hormones that play a part in prostate problems.
Take beneficial supplements, including: zinc (60 mg/day), saw palmetto (160 mg twice/day), Vitamin E (400 mg/day) and flaxseed oil (1-2 tsp/day). Flaxseed oil may influence prostaglandin production, and a deficiency in prostaglandin may be a contributing factor to prostate enlargement.
Keep your cholesterol at a healthy level (under 220) and avoid high fat foods because they can affect your hormone levels, which can lead to prostate problems.
Ejaculate frequently as this will help to reduce swelling by removing prostate fluids.
Avoid hydrogenated vegetable oils, including margarine. Prostaglandin metabolism can be negatively impacted by the consumption of these products.
Relax the pelvic muscles when relieving yourself to fully empty your bladder. Repeatedly failing to completely empty the bladder can lead to urinary retention and/or urinary flow problems.
Consume fewer fluids several hours before bedtime, especially those that contain caffeine or alcohol. This is particularly important for men who are awakened several times each night by the urge to use the rest room.
Natural Remedies for Prostate Swelling
Tips and warnings
- If you feel the urge to urinate, do so promptly rather than waiting. Continuous holding of urine can lead to urinary problems associated with the prostate. It is vital to completely empty the bladder each time you use the rest room.
- It is crucial that urinary retention does not become severe as the bladder can become damaged. See your physician for a complete exam as soon as possible if the natural remedies fail to alleviate your urinary issues. Infection or cancer must be ruled out as potential underlying problems.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for