A bedside commode is an important item to have when a loved one is unable to use a normal bathroom. Typically made of materials that are easy to clean and sanitise, they need upkeep several times a day. The bottom bowl slides out for ease in emptying and cleaning. Most bedside commode units will fit into an average shower stall for convenient washing. A little vinegar and disinfectant cleaner will have a bedside commode ready for its next use in short order. Cleaning this type of device takes as little as 30 minutes.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- White vinegar
- Scrub brush
- Disinfectant spray
Put on your gloves and remove the bottom bowl. Dispose of the contents by emptying them into a toilet. Set the empty bowl in the shower stall.
Place the bedside commode unit into the shower stall and set the shower on a hot water setting. Close the curtain and let the hot water beat down on the commode for five minutes. Shut the shower off and open the curtain.
Mix ½ cup of white vinegar with two cups of water in a small bucket. Use a small cleaning brush to scrub the entire surface of the commode and bowl. Turn the shower back on to rinse the items.
Pull the bedside commode out of the shower stall and wipe it dry with a towel. Use a disinfectant spray on the surfaces. Reinstall the bowl and place the commode in position at the bedside for the next use. (Ref. 1.)
Tips: Drugs.com offers a great tutorial on the proper use and assisting procedure for bedside commodes. (Res. 1.)
Tips and warnings
- Drugs.com offers a great tutorial on the proper use and assisting procedure for bedside commodes. (Res. 1.)
- Wear gloves when cleaning a commode.
- Keep area well ventilated from vinegar fumes.
- Be mindful of hot water. It can cause serious burns.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for