Immigration is a tough issue to discuss in most communities due to the aggressiveness of most political debates. When fraud is added to the immigration mix, action must be taken to ensure the safety of the United States and its citizens. Reporting the facts of an immigration fraud case can be done over the phone or online.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Full name of person being reported
- Alien Registration Number (optional)
Gather the full name of the person who is committing the immigration fraud. Call the Immigration Enforcement line at 1 (866) 347-2423. This line is set up for the average person to report a fraud; however, for a more in-depth way to report fraud, continue to Step 2.
Determine whether the person you are seeking to report is in fact an illegal alien. If the person is an illegal alien, he or she may not have a U.S.-issued Alien Registration Card; however, it is possible that the person could have a Social Security card issued in someone else's name. Get the Alien ID number of the person being reported, if available. An Alien ID number can be located on the front of the Alien Registration Card, which is also known as a "green card."
Go to the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) website (see Resources section).
Click on the "Contact" tab at the top of the ICE website page.
Click on the "Field Offices" link under "Quick Links" on the left side of the screen. Then click on the "Investigations" link. Scroll down to the "Office of Investigations" section and then scroll to the state immigration office that you need. Using the number shown, call the office, Press 0 and ask for the "Duty Agent." The operator will transfer you to a duty agent who will take your information and make a report. If an alien number is known for the individual being reported, the duty agent will also be able to look this person up in the database and determine whether a legal status is in effect or not.
Tips and warnings
- You will be required to provide your name and a telephone number as the person requesting the report. Always have your facts in order before calling with any information.
- Be calm and to the point when reporting what you know. Immigration agents are used to hearing these types of reports and only want to know the facts, not any extra information, such as your personal opinions or general thoughts about the person in question.
- Filing a false fraud report is against the law.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for