Calorie counting is not the only way to monitor your daily intake. In fact, it is just as important to keep track of fat intake. To figure how many fat grams you need per day depends on how many calories you require, but it is easy to make the conversion. This would mostly be necessary to calculate your daily fat intake, since individual foods' nutritional information already tell you how many grams of fat they have.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Food nutritional information
Determine how many calories you consume per day (or should consume). The daily value you see on the side of food packages is based on 2,000 calories per day. It may be a lot less or possibly more for you, depending on your gender, body, and how active you are. Find a calorie calculator on the internet that will tell you an estimate right for you.
Determine the percentage of fat calories you need to consume. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans (in 2005) recommends 20% to 35% of calories should come from fat.
Multiply your daily intake of calories by the percentage of fat calories you would like to consume. For example, if you eat 1,800 calories per day, the most amount of calories from fat you should consume would be 1,800 x 0.35 = 630.
Divide that number by 9, as there are 9 calories in 1 fat gram. In the example, 630 / 9 = 70 grams of fat. So, at most, you should consume 70 grams of fat per day.
Do this calculation for food items. Note the total calories per serving on the nutritional information. Note the number of calories from fat. Divide by 9, and you will get the amount of grams of fat per serving.
Tips and warnings
- In general, the more muscle you have and the more active you are, the more calories you will require to maintain your weight. However, if you are trying to lose weight, you should reduce the amount of calories you consume each day as well as the amount of fat.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for