If you change you guitar strings frequently or have several guitars, buying guitar strings in bulk can save you time and money. Not only do many retailers provide a discount for bulk purchases of strings, but buying in bulk means you'll have the correct strings available whenever you need them. You can buy guitar strings in bulk online, from a local music store or directly from most manufacturers.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Be sure you know the proper string gauges you need for your guitar. Installing the wrong gauge can seriously damage your guitar. Consult your guitar's manufacturer if you are unsure of the proper gauge required for your guitar.
Visit an online auction site such as eBay. Suppliers often use auction sites to sell bulk shipments of overstocked strings at heavily discounted prices. Some sellers even offer free or discounted shipping.
Visit your local music store and ask if it sells strings in bulk. Many music stores that do not normally sell in bulk will make an exception if they are overstocked. Buying locally can save you a great deal of money that you would otherwise spend on shipping costs.
Call the manufacturer of your favourite strings or visit the company's website. Many manufacturers sell strings in bulk and ship worldwide.
Tips and warnings
- Order a brand and model of strings that you are comfortable playing. If you order 50 sets of a brand you have never tried, you will likely have to pay return-shipping costs if you don't like the feel or performance of those strings on your guitar.
- Whenever you buy a large quantity of guitar strings from a music store, ask for a bulk discount. Music stores are like car dealerships---you can negotiate any aspect of your purchase. But you won't get a discount if you don't ask for it.
- When ordering online, be sure to calculate the shipping cost into your total purchase price. An exorbitant shipping charge can eliminate the financial benefit of ordering in bulk.
- Strings can rust due to humidity and have a limited shelf life. If you don't plan to use your strings within one year of purchase, consider buying airtight storage tubes to keep your strings fresh until use. You can buy storage tubes at many music stores and at www.stringthis.com.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for