Treating a horse with ear mites can be a challenge to say the least. Most horses aren't particularly fond of having their ears prodded and poked--nor do they like the pain and irritation caused by ear mites. For an over-the-counter, simple treatment to get rid of your horse's ear mites, you can squirt a basic solution in the horse's ears. Creating the mixture of ear mite treatment is the easiest part of this process; administering it to your horse is another ordeal entirely. You can use a certain technique to get your horse to keep its head still while you're applying the treatment to its ears.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Flea/tick/mite treatment
- Mineral oil
- Syringe or eye dropper
- Ivermectin dewormer (optional)
Purchase a flea and tick treatment for domestic animals that also treats ear mites, such as Frontline. Make sure it is the liquid kind of treatment that you'd put on a dog's or cat's back.
Mix the flea and tick treatment with 12 CCs of mineral oil. Pour the mixture into a large syringe or eye dropper.
Hold the horse's ear at the base to get your horse to hold its head still. Most horses will not like the sensation of liquid dripping into their ears.
Squeeze one half of the mixture into each ear while pinching the ear closed at the base. Start at the tip of each ear and apply the mixture throughout the ears.
Release the horse's ear slightly to allow the mixture to penetrate down into its ear, without letting go of your horse's ear completely. Then, let go of the ears.
Repeat the treatment once a month until the ear mites are gone.
Tips and warnings
- Step away from the horse quickly after letting go of its ears completely. Your horse will likely shake its head, and you don't want to get the ear mite treatment on you.
- As an alternative, try a deworming product containing ivermectin to kill the mites, particularly if your horse has a more aggressive infestation of ear mites.
- Don't use any treatment on your horse without first consulting your veterinarian for a diagnosis and for treatment advice.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for