Aquarium keepers often look for fish of different colours to add to their tanks. One popular fish that interests many aquarium keepers is the rosy red minnow. These small fish are appreciated for their peaceful nature and the relative ease in caring for them. There are some special pointers that should be kept in mind when rosy reds are in a fish tank. If these points are noted and attended to the rosy red minnow can live for up to three years, adding colour and interesting habits to a fresh water aquarium.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Fish tank
- Fish Food
- Algae Wafers
Keep rosy red minnows in a group of at least three per tank. Rosy reds are social fish and do well if there are other rosy reds in the tank with them. Outdoor ponds are good for rosy red minnows.
Feed rosy reds flake fish food. This can be purchased at a pet shop. Feed the rosy reds twice a day, approximately one teaspoon of flake fish food per fish. Rosy reds also eat insect larvae and vegetable greens.
Keep the rosy reds in a tank of cool fresh water that has one gallon of water for every one inch of full-grown fish. Keep the water clean and aerated with a filter. A pet store will have good filters for fish tanks of all sizes.
Keep rosy reds away from bigger fish that might eat them. Carnivorous fish eat rosy red minnows.
Put an algae wafer in the tank periodically. Rosy reds love to eat this and some owners have noticed that algae wafers seem to act as a fish pick-me-up for rosy red minnows.
Caring for Rosy Red Minnows
Tips and warnings
- If any of the following signs develop the rosy reds might be sick or in trouble.
- * The fish is lying on the bottom of the tank
- * The gills, skin or fins are inflamed, or the fins are down on the fish's side
- * The fish is rubbing against the rocks or other aquarium objects
- * The fish is alone in the tank
- * The fish seems to be losing weight
- Check the water quality (a pet store that sells fish can do this in a few moments if a water sample is brought to them) and consult the store where the fish were purchased for suggestions of how to treat your rosy red.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for