How to buy mylar

Written by tom streissguth
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Email

Mylar is a patented trademark name for plastic sheet film made from polythene terephthalate, or PET. It comes in varying coatings and thicknesses. Mylar's mirror-like reflective quality helps light intensity for indoor gardens and greenhouses.

Skill level:
Moderately Easy

Things you need

  • Indoor plants or garden
  • Mylar roll, at least 25 feet

Show MoreHide


    Buying and Installing Mylar

  1. 1

    Well-appointed home and garden centres will carry Mylar rolls. A standard roll of Mylar film for garden use measures 48 or 55 inches wide. Length varies from 25 to 150 feet.

  2. 2

    Standard thickness ranges from 1ml to 4ml. The thicker the Mylar, the easier it will be to handle. Both sides of the film should be metallised.

  3. 3

    Install the Mylar around the garden, keeping the film at least six inches away from your plants so that reflectivity in the entire room is more intense. Cover walls, ceilings and even floors and table surfaces. Tack or tape the film directly to the surface.

  4. 4

    Mylar is not inexpensive, therefore if you cannot cover every surface of a room, a good alternative is Mylar along with flat white paint, which also is strongly reflective, used on the walls and floor.

  5. 5

    Mylar for indoor use also can be purchased in the form of a "grow tent," an enclosed space completely coated with reflective film.

Tips and warnings

  • For better growth of bottom leaves, cut small circles of Mylar and place around stem of the plant.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.