Giving the gift of your eggs to a woman with fertility problems can be both emotionally and financially rewarding. Some women's ovaries don't produce healthy, viable eggs, so using an egg donor is the only way they can become pregnant and carry a baby to term. There is a time and medical commitment involved, and it's no easy decision to make. Luckily, if you do decide to donate your eggs, you can be financially compensated for your willingness to assist.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Egg donor application
- Health insurance (optional - used for initial costs)
Undergo medical screening to be sure you are healthy, both physically and emotionally.
Apply to become an egg donor and wait to be matched with a woman needing a donor.
Sign legal documents to begin the process.
Take medication to stop your menstrual cycle.
Take medications, usually injections, to help your body produce a number of mature eggs at one time.
Continue to be evaluated by a doctor during the weeks of fertility treatment.
Undergo surgery to extract the eggs. This is done under general anaesthesia.
Receive your payment per the terms of your contract.
Tips and warnings
- Egg donors are young women, usually between 21 and 35 years old.
- Because this process takes weeks and involves a lot of time with visits to the doctor and such, be sure you have a flexible schedule.
- Thoroughly research the egg donating procedure to be sure you feel comfortable being a donor.
- Carefully read the legal documents before beginning the process.
- If you decide not to donate after undergoing the treatment, you are at risk for serious medical complications.
- While taking fertility drugs you are very fertile. Refrain from having unprotected intercourse.
- Even with proper care, it is possible to develop ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, which can be serious.
- Some women find they are allergic to the fertility drugs.
- The surgery, though minor, does involve general anaesthesia and can have complications.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for