False eyelashes are an easy way to get fuller, thicker lashes. However, at times, the adhesive is already dried up when taken out of the package. Should this occur, you can easily recreate simple eyelash glue using items around the house including corn syrup, white vinegar and cornstarch. These are safe alternatives which won't cause any serious damage to eyes should the mixture run. Costume make-up tricks can also be utilised when you've run out of eyelash glue.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Small saucepan
- Small bowl
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup cold water
- Measuring spoons
- False eyelashes
- Eyeshadow brush or sponge
- Blow dryer
- Eye make-up
Measure the water, corn syrup and vinegar and mix together in a saucepan. Bring to a full boil while mixing the cornstarch in a small bowl with the measured cold water. Slowly add this mixture to the heated mixture; stir continuously until the mixture boils again.
Boil mixture for a minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool. After the mixture has cooled, pour it into another container and allow it sit overnight before using. Store the container in a place where it will not be disturbed, like a kitchen pantry.
Dip a small eyeshadow sponge applicator or toothpick in the mixture the following morning and carefully apply mixture to false eyelashes. It is best to start with a small amount of the glue and build from there to avoid soaking false eyelashes in glue. Allow adhesive to become tacky before applying eyelashes to lash line.
Apply false eyelashes to lash lines and press down for 10 to 15 seconds. Allow to dry. A blow dryer can be used to speed up the drying process; simply set your dryer on low and wave it in front of lashes, taking care not to get the dryer too close to your skin. This can dry out your skin and possibly move the lashes.
Apply mascara and eye make-up as desired. Store glue in airtight container for later use.
Tips and warnings
- Cooking a large potato until tender is another way of making homemade glue. Cook the potato at 204 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes to an hour until the skin is tender, then allow to cool. Poke holes in the potato with a fork before placing in the oven so potato does not explode when heated. If you can pierce the potato with a knife and it comes up cleanly without potato residue it is ready. Break the potato in two. The cut surfaces can be used as glue.
- Masks that peel off the skin also make good eyelash adhesive. Simply dip an eyeshadow brush or sponge application in the mask and apply to lash lines. Press eyelashes on as soon as you apply the mask to keep it from drying out before application.
- Never apply Krazy, Elmer's or any type of glue that is not suited for skin on the face or anywhere else on the body. If the mixture gets in the eyes, flush immediately with water.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for