Homemade Eyelash Adhesive
Clean water and water bubbles in blue image by Suto Norbert from Fotolia.com
False eyelashes are an easy way to get fuller, thicker lashes. However, at times, the adhesive is already dried up when taken out of the package. Should this occur, you can easily recreate simple eyelash glue using items around the house including corn syrup, white vinegar and cornstarch.
These are safe alternatives which won't cause any serious damage to eyes should the mixture run. Costume make-up tricks can also be utilised when you've run out of eyelash glue.
saucepan image by Leonid Nyshko from Fotolia.com
Measure the water, corn syrup and vinegar and mix together in a saucepan. Bring to a full boil while mixing the cornstarch in a small bowl with the measured cold water. Slowly add this mixture to the heated mixture; stir continuously until the mixture boils again.
- False eyelashes are an easy way to get fuller, thicker lashes.
- However, at times, the adhesive is already dried up when taken out of the package.
empty glass jar image by vadim kozlovsky from Fotolia.com
Boil mixture for a minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool. After the mixture has cooled, pour it into another container and allow it sit overnight before using. Store the container in a place where it will not be disturbed, like a kitchen pantry.
make-up image by Mat Hayward from Fotolia.com
Dip a small eyeshadow sponge applicator or toothpick in the mixture the following morning and carefully apply mixture to false eyelashes. It is best to start with a small amount of the glue and build from there to avoid soaking false eyelashes in glue. Allow adhesive to become tacky before applying eyelashes to lash line.
- Boil mixture for a minute.
- It is best to start with a small amount of the glue and build from there to avoid soaking false eyelashes in glue.
eyelashes image by saied shahinkiya from Fotolia.com
Apply false eyelashes to lash lines and press down for 10 to 15 seconds. Allow to dry. A blow dryer can be used to speed up the drying process; simply set your dryer on low and wave it in front of lashes, taking care not to get the dryer too close to your skin. This can dry out your skin and possibly move the lashes.
eye_makeup image by sumos from Fotolia.com
Apply mascara and eye make-up as desired. Store glue in airtight container for later use.
- Cooking a large potato until tender is another way of making homemade glue. Cook the potato at 204 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes to an hour until the skin is tender, then allow to cool. Poke holes in the potato with a fork before placing in the oven so potato does not explode when heated. If you can pierce the potato with a knife and it comes up cleanly without potato residue it is ready. Break the potato in two. The cut surfaces can be used as glue.
- Masks that peel off the skin also make good eyelash adhesive. Simply dip an eyeshadow brush or sponge application in the mask and apply to lash lines. Press eyelashes on as soon as you apply the mask to keep it from drying out before application.
- Never apply Krazy, Elmer's or any type of glue that is not suited for skin on the face or anywhere else on the body. If the mixture gets in the eyes, flush immediately with water.
Kent Page McGroarty has worked as a writer since 2006, contributing numerous articles to various websites. She is a frequent contributor to the health and fitness sections of the online magazine EDGE Publications and holds a Bachelor of Arts in English from Saint Joseph's University.