Having a tub and shower enclosure that don't match the rest of your bathroom can be an eyesore, and replacing them can be expensive. Fibreglass tubs and showers can seem particularly difficult to recolor, but if you have the proper instructions and supplies, the process can be easy and provide stunning results.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 320-grit sandpaper
- Muriatic acid
- Nylon scouring pad
- Epoxy-based paint or appliance paint
- Spray gun or spray can
Sand the tub and shower with a 320-grit sand paper until the surface is dull.
Mix one part muriatic acid with five parts water in a plastic bowl. Use a nylon scouring pad to scrub the tub and shower surface with the solution.
Rinse the tub and shower completely with water and allow to dry.
Use masking tape to cover faucets, hardware and other areas you do not want painted.
Apply a layer of epoxy-based primer to the surface of the tub and shower with a spray gun or can. One coat should be sufficient. Allow to dry.
Apply an epoxy-based paint to the the entire tub and shower area with a spray gun or can. Allow to dry. If the colour is not dark enough, apply a second coat.
Tips and warnings
- Do not sand through the gel coating of the tub and shower. A dull finish will suffice in preparation of painting.
- Wash the entire tub and shower area with muriatic acid. You can find this in most stores carrying pool supplies.
- You may be able to rent a spray gun from your local paint or hardware store.
- You can also use appliance paint instead of epoxy-based paint, but it only comes in white or almond.
- Do not use a roller or paintbrush to apply the primer or paint. The results will be uneven.
- Muriatic acid should be used in a well-ventilated area. Open a window and the door. You may want to have a fan running to disperse fumes.
- Be careful not to get the acid on your skin or in the eyes. If this occurs, you should flush with water immediately and seek medical attention if irritation persists.
- Keep acid, primer and paint out of the reach of children.
- Wear protective eyewear and gloves during the entire process.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for