Whether you need to work out some aggression or you just want to keep your boxing or martial-arts skills sharp, a punchbag is an essential tool for meeting your training needs. Although most bags are suspended by a chain from the ceiling, sometimes suspension is not an option. Fortunately, building a stand for your punchbag is a fairly simple process.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Six 4-foot iron pipes, 1 inch in diameter, threaded ends
- Six 1-inch endcaps
- One 8-foot iron pipe, 1 inch in diameter, threaded ends
- One 1-inch, five-way threaded iron pipe junction
- One 1-inch three-way threaded iron pipe junction
- Two 2-inch iron rings, 1/4 inch in diameter
- Weights, comparable to the weight of the punchbag
- Welding unit
Screw four of the 4-foot pipe lengths into the five-way splitter, then put a cap on each free end. This is the base of the stand.
Insert the 8-foot pipe in the fifth slot on the five-way splitter. Put the three-way splitter on the other end of the 8-foot pipe.
Place the remaining 4-foot pipe sections in the other ends of the three-way splitter, then cap the free ends of the pipes.
Weld the two iron rings about 6 inches from the far ends of each of the two top pipes. These will serve as the hook points for the bag and the counterweight.
Use the chain from the bag to secure the punchbag to one of the upper arms, from the welded ring. Secure your counterweight to the other side.
Building your Punchbag
Tips and warnings
- Use a pipe wrench to tighten all pipes into their junctions. Consider spray-painting to improve the appearance. Put felt strips under the pipe plugs if damage to flooring is a concern.
- Without a counterbalancing weight to offset the punchbag, your frame will be unstable. If weights aren't available, consider some way of securing the feet of the stand to the floor to reduce the risk of a tip-over injury.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for