Ozone is useful for eliminating certain types of bacteria and fungus and the associated odours. Many people set up an ozone generator in their basements after a water leak to prevent the build-up of mould, mildew and fungus. The transformer needed to make your ozone generator can be obtained at a reasonable price from a neon sign maker or you can purchase an inexpensive neon sign and cannibalise the transformer.
Things you need
Quart glass jar
Pint glass jar that fits inside the quart glass jar
Transformer (minimum 3000v / maximum 15,000v)
2 foot x 2 foot wooden board
Fold a sheet of aluminium foil several times until the foil can be placed into the bottom of the 1-pint glass jar. The foil should cover the bottom (inside) of the jar and should come at least 2 inches up the side.
Fold a sheet of aluminium foil and cover the bottom (inside) of the 1-quart jar with the foil coming up at least 2 inches inside jar, the same as in the smaller jar. Place the smaller jar inside of the larger jar. The aluminium foil in each jar will be separated by the glass of the smaller jar.
Set the two nested jars on your 2 foot by 2 foot board. Remove your transformer from the neon sign and place the transformer close to the jars. Make sure one of the wires from the transformer is long enough to reach the bottom of the larger jar and that the other wire is long enough to reach the bottom of the smaller jar. If the existing wires are not long enough, splice on additional wire to extend them. Wrap splices with electrical tape.
Attach alligator clips to the ends of the wires. Attach one alligator clip to the aluminium foil inside the larger jar and attach the other clip to the foil inside the smaller jar. Make certain the wires do not touch. If the two bares wires (that is, without the plastic insulation) should touch there will be an electrical spark and the possibility of a fire.
Plug in the transformer and turn it on. There should be a crackling noise from the ozone generator and if the generator is placed in the dark a bluish glow should come from it. Your generator can be run full time and should work fine for at least three to four months. As long as the transformer lasts, replace the aluminium foil every three to four months and your generator should last for years.
- Do not operate your ozone generator in a bedroom while you sleep--breathing too much ozone can damage your lungs. Keep the two wires from your transformer separated as much as possible to avoid the possibility of an electrical short. The aluminium foil from one jar should not touch the foil in the other jar.
Tips and Warnings
- Do not operate your ozone generator in a bedroom while you sleep--breathing too much ozone can damage your lungs.
- Keep the two wires from your transformer separated as much as possible to avoid the possibility of an electrical short.
- The aluminium foil from one jar should not touch the foil in the other jar.
Things you need
- Quart glass jar
- Pint glass jar that fits inside the quart glass jar
- Aluminium foil
- Transformer (minimum 3000v / maximum 15,000v)
- Alligator clips
- 2 foot x 2 foot wooden board
- Electrical tape