An electric scooter bike is basically a bicycle with an electric motor and a battery that runs the motor. The battery needs to be charged after 40 miles or so, unless you have a pedal bike that recharges the battery as you pedal. Some scooter bikes are the kind that you stand on with an electric motor and tiny wheels. The motors on some electric scooter bikes can be extremely powerful and reach speeds of 50mph or more.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Know the field. When you go shopping for an electric scooter bike, be sure you know the kind you wish to purchase. Light electric vehicles (LEVs) can be large or tiny. A small stand-up-and-push type scooter is for short distances and can be carried in a car or into your office. A standard pedal bike can be made into a scooter bike with a kit or can be bought ready-made. Kits for standard pedal bikes have a lightweight battery and a small motor that fits inconspicuously in the front or rear wheel. The motors on scooter bikes have a range from 250 to 1,500 watts. The size of the motor will determine what kind of battery will be carried on the bike and how long the battery will last before it needs charging. Choose a large motor on a ready-made scooter if you want to go fast and carry items or people with you. Alternatively, if your goal is just to get there with the least amount of pedalling, at a speed of 20mph, then a kit to convert your standard bike to a motorised bike is for you.
Find sources. LightEVs are now very popular and can be purchased at motorbike stores as well as online. Check out Motorbikes.com to see lists of light electric vehicles, manufacturers and kits (see Resources). Look at "A to B Magazine" (mostly available in the UK) and check in your library or bookstore for the "National Cycle Network Guide" and other informative books about electric scooter bikes.
Check out the prices. A ready-made electric scooter bike can cost as little as £227, but the range of prices for ready-made scooter bikes goes all the way up to £1,950 for the Currie/EZIP/IZIP Bicycle. An Amped bike kit costs £214, but kits to convert your standard bike to electric power may cost as much as £681 for a Bmc 1000w Brushless Hub Motor electric bike eBike kit.
Tips and warnings
- When you purchase an electric scooter bike, obtain information about the battery, ask whether it will need to be replaced and where to purchase a new one if needed.
- Ask about dealer repairs and be sure to obtain warranties
- If you purchase a used bike, have a mechanic knowledgeable about electric bicycles look at it first to make sure it will work for a long while.
- If you purchase a kit to change your pedal bike into an electric motor bike, be sure you know about both motors and bicycles or have the ear of a knowledgeable person who can help you.
- Remember that electric-powered vehicles are not automobiles and are subject to restrictions on highways and freeways.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for