Luxury homes are targeted at consumers at the highest socio-economic levels. A luxury home elevation should make an appealing visual statement and accurately convey the style of the home. To achieve this, careful attention is paid to every detail of the design; a great deal of effort and research are used bring a sense of balance and beauty to the finished home elevation.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Floor plan
- Tissue paper (roll)
- Mechanical pencil
- Architectural tape
- Architectural table or large, smooth table
- Construction ruler
- Triangle templates (plastic)
- Curved templates (plastic)
Tape the floor plan to your board such that the front walls of the home are parallel with your straight edge, starting with the front of the home floor plan.
Cover your floor plan with the tissue paper and tape your tissue down.
Draw a ground elevation line near the bottom of your tissue paper. If your home is on a basement or crawl space or otherwise elevated above ground level, then measure that distance of above ground and draw a horizontal line.
Use your triangle and lightly draw each outside corner on the elevation. Each house has a core grouping of rooms that form roof fascia heights. Lightly draw those first. Repeat these steps on each elevation and side of the floor plan until you have a rough idea of the home's mass.
Layout your floor plan, cover it with tissue and plot your roof plan. You may need to work back and forth between the elevations and the roof as you work out roof lines, roof pitch, ceiling height and fascia heights. When you have solved your roof plan, you will have a rough front elevation.
Select the style of home you are designing and have samples of that style's features available for reference. Designing an elevation begins once the structure of the house is solved. With the raw bones of the house drawn, the exterior style and design are applied.
Develop your design by solving elevation problems through selecting solutions typical of the proposed home style. A well-designed luxury home emerges from an in-depth understanding of the style being executed. Select appropriately sized and styled windows, doors, trims, lamps, exterior surfaces, roofing types and design motifs. Each part of the design should be balanced and work with all other parts.
Develop your side and rear elevations after you have solved your front elevation. The choices you make on your front elevation will inform every other surface and choice for consistency and style integrity. Luxury homes are defined by their details and good bones or good underlying balanced architectural design.
Tips and warnings
- Attempt to design a garden shed first, until you understand the concepts. A lay person with a steady hand and a good eye can design a luxury home elevation, but they have to design the home first. The home is the floor plan and how every space fits together, the elevation is the art of managing those spaces under a roof, beautifully. There are also online tools available for elevation design.
- Architectural design is complex and mistakes are expensive. Have an architect design the home and base elevation and then develop the details from that basic structure.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for