Buttercream is a very popular cake frosting option that can be made in no time and stored in the freezer for months. The simple variation shown below can be changed to have any flavour and colour combination imaginable. More complicated variations can be made with egg whites, simple syrup and butter; these require more expertise in the kitchen to prepare. Buttercream can be used as the only frosting or a base for fondant-type paste decoration.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Butter or margarine ½ cup
- Confectioners sugar 4 ½ cups
- Almond extract ½ tsp
- Amaretto 2 tbsp (optional)
- Electric mixer
- Measuring utensils
Put butter in bowl and soften on medium low with the mixer. Margarine can also be used if dairy is a concern.
Add sugar in patches of 1 to 2 cups at a time to the butter. Allow the mixer to cream butter and sugar before adding more sugar. Regular white sugar can be used but confectioners sugar is preferred as it is very fine-grained, producing a smoother textured buttercream.
Add the almond extract or any preferred flavour such as peppermint, cocoa powder, or vanilla at this stage.
Add Amaretto slowly as not all may be needed. The Amaretto adds flavour and finishes the texture. For thinner texture add all of it, for a firmer texture add less. Any flavour liqueur can be added in place of Amaretto such as Grand Marnier or Framboise depending on the flavour desire. Milk can be substituted for liqueur for a non-alcoholic variation.
Frost cooled cakes and decorate as desired.
Tips and warnings
- Play with flavour variations to find the one that will go best with the cake flavour.
- Food colouring can also be added to give any number of variations of colour to complement or contrast the flavourings.
- Buttercream works fine with no flavour or colour additives.
- To much moisture will make the butter cream to thin for use.
- Butter that is to warm will also make the butter cream hard to work with.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for