Making oven fries is a great way to use up leftover sweet potatoes. They do not become crispy in the oven as regular potatoes do, but the flesh becomes tender and the edges begin to caramelise, resulting in a sweet flavour. This recipe yields approximately eight servings of sweet potato oven fries, with each serving consisting of eight fries.
Things you need
24-by-30 cm (9-by-13-inch) baking tray
4 large sweet potatoes
Sharp kitchen knife
Dipping sauce (optional)
Covered container (optional)
Preheat the oven to 205ºC (400ºF). Lightly grease the baking tray with rimmed edges using vegetable oil.
Thoroughly scrub each sweet potato in running water to remove any dirt. Cut each sweet potato into quarters lengthwise using a sharp kitchen knife. Cut each quartered piece into three or four large spears.
Place the sweet potato fries with the skin side down onto the prepared baking tray. Drizzle them with approximately 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil, and then sprinkle with pepper and salt.
Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until they are thoroughly cooked. Check the chips by sticking a fork or knife into the thickest part. If it is easily penetrated, the chips are done.
Remove the pan from the oven, and serve immediately with ketchup, yoghurt or your favourite dipping sauce. Store leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator, and reheat in the oven at 205ºC (400ºF) for 10 to 15 minutes, or until heated through.
- For a more savoury flavour, try brushing the sweet potato oven fries with melted butter prior to and just after baking. For a sweeter flavour, omit the salt and pepper, sprinkle with a cinnamon and sugar mixture, and serve with cream for dipping instead of ketchup or yoghurt.
Tips and Warnings
- For a more savoury flavour, try brushing the sweet potato oven fries with melted butter prior to and just after baking.
- For a sweeter flavour, omit the salt and pepper, sprinkle with a cinnamon and sugar mixture, and serve with cream for dipping instead of ketchup or yoghurt.
Things you need
- 24-by-30 cm (9-by-13-inch) baking tray
- Vegetable oil
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- Sharp kitchen knife
- Dipping sauce (optional)
- Covered container (optional)