You can hang lightweight mirrors the same way that you hang a picture. Very heavy mirrors, on the other hand, require sturdier equipment. If there is a stud behind the drywall on which you'd like to hang the mirror, you can simply hang the mirror on a nail. Otherwise, special materials are necessary. Hanging a heavy mirror is a two-person job, so make sure you have someone else to help you before you begin.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 12-inch long plank of wood
- Expansion bolts (Molly or toggle bolts)
- D-rings and screws
- Mirror wire
Use a pencil to mark the four corners of the plank and drill holes over the markings.
Place the plank on the wall and mark where the holes touch the wall. Drill four small pilot holes into the wall over the markings.
Use the hammer to drive the expansion bolts through the holes in the plank into the holes in the wall. The expansion bolts are made of a screw with legs that pull back once the bolt is in the wall.
Use the screwdriver to tighten the bolts. This pulls back the legs of the bolt and anchors the bolts in the wall.
Use the hammer to put a strong nail into the centre of the plank.
Drill two pilot holes in the back of the mirror's frame, a couple of inches from the top.
Push the D-rings into the pilot holes with the screws.
Thread the mirror wire through the D-rings, leaving it taut between the two rings. Attach the end of the wire to the D-shaped piece, and twist the excess wire together.
Hang the mirror on the nail in the plank. This will distribute the weight evenly across the four expansion bolts.
Tips and warnings
- Buy the highest-quality D-rings available to make sure that your mirror will hang securely.
- Weigh your mirror to make sure that you are using extension bolts for the correct weight.
- Never overtighten screws, or the frame of the mirror will crack.
- Toggle bolts cannot be removed and reused, so make sure you have them in the right place before you hammer them in.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for