Making a handbag birthday cake is an easy way to make a unique and personalised birthday cake for someone special. Once the cake is made, you can personalise it by adding the birthday girl's initials on the side or decorate with sweets in her favourite colour. This is the kind of cake that will look like it took hours to make and in reality, it should take less than an hour.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Cake mix
- Ingredients on the cake mix box
- Two pieces of liquorice
- Sweets to decorate the cake
Bake a 23 cm (9 inch) round cake. Follow the baking instructions on the box. When the cake is fully baked, allow it to cool completely on a baking rack.
Cut the cake in half down the centre so you have two equal sides.
Spread icing on the top of one half of the cake. Make sure you put the icing in a thick layer.
Take the side of the cake you iced and stand it up on it's flat side on the cake platter. Take the second piece of the cake and stand it up next to the first on the icing side.
Press the two pieces together so that the icing makes them stick to each other. At this point they should look like a half moon on the cake platter and they should stand on their own. If they do not stand well on their own, remove the two pieces, and put some icing on the cake plate where the cake will be. Then put the cake back on the cake plate directly on the icing.
Cover the entire cake with the coloured icing you want to be the base colour of your handbag.
Take two pieces of liquorice, red or black, and stick the two ends of the liquorice into the top of the cake so that they create a loop extending above the cake. These will be the handles of your handbag.
Decorate the purse with sweets and icing any way that you would like.
Tips and warnings
- If you are having trouble getting the sweets to stick to the sides of your handbag, simply add more icing. You can also decorate the purse by adding a pattern to it in a different coloured icing.
- The cake must be completely cooled before you can make the handbag or it could fall apart.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for