You're finally enjoying a few minutes alone in a nice, warm shower when you notice that the area between the wall or floor tiles is covered in black or brown mould. Not only does it make you not want to use the shower, it can also severely affect your health if you don't take care of the problem. You initially may think that bleach is the answer to getting rid of that nasty mould, but here is another technique that is safer and more effective.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1-gallon metal pot
- 2-gallon metal pot
- 1/4 cup copper sulphate powder
- 1/2-gallon hydrochloric acid-based grout cleaner
- Oven gloves
- Fine mesh colander
- Large spray bottle
- Mask and rubber gloves
- Paper towels
Fill the 1-gallon metal pot halfway with water, place it on the stove, and bring it to a full, rolling boil. Put on the oven gloves, remove the pot from the heat, and pour in 1/4 cup of copper sulphate powder. Put on mask and rubber gloves, Stir until the powder dissolves.
Pour the solution through a fine mesh colander or filter it through a paper towel as you transfer it into the 2-gallon pot. This will remove any large pieces of copper that were mixed in with the powder.
Add 1/2-gallon of a hydrochloric acid-based grout cleaner, such as Zep Grout Cleaner, and stir the solution again. Pour the mixture through the funnel into the spray bottle.
Spray the solution directly onto the mouldy areas of the grout and let it set for 15 to 20 minutes. Then scrub the areas with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Rinse the grout thoroughly with hot water from the shower tap.
Dry shower walls with paper towel and open the window or turn on the bathroom fan.
Tips and warnings
- Look for copper sulphate at your local garden centre. It is commonly used as a soil additive.
- Consider buying mould test strips from your local home improvement store so you can make sure all of the mould is gone.
- If you have a lot of problems with mildew in your shower, dry it after every time you use it or put a dehumidifier in your bathroom. Mold will not thrive in a dry environment.
- Wear a mask and gloves when cleaning up mould. Don't use your shower until all of the mould is taken care of.
- Bleach will turn mould white, so you may think it's gone when it isn't. That's why it's not the best cleaner to use for this task.
- Make sure the cleaning solution does not get on your skin or in your eyes, nose, ears or mouth.
- Don't make more cleaning solution than you need. If you only have a tiny amount of mould, cut the recipe in half or even quarter it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for