Hand-knit scarves make thoughtful gifts for both women and men. Yet, while it seems easy to choose yarn and knit a scarf for a woman, as so many of the stitching patterns are feminine. An appropriate pattern for a men's scarf is ribbing, which can be created by any number and variation of knitting and purling on the same row, and then repeated throughout the body of the scarf. The basic stitches are easy enough for even a beginning knitter.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Skein of medium worsted-weight yarn, 7 or 8 oz.
- Straight No. 8 knitting needles
- Yarn needle
Cast 32 stitches onto your needles.
Knit two, purl two. Repeat across to the end of the row.
Purl two, knit two. Repeat across to the end of the row.
Repeat Steps 3 and 4 until the scarf is the length desired.
Bind off after your last purl 2, knit 2 row. Knit two stitches. With your left knitting needle, pull the first stitch (the one on the inside) over the second stitch and then completely over the tip of the right knitting needle. Purl 1 and repeat the same bind-off step. Following the pattern of the ribbing, continue binding off until you reach the end of the row.
Pull the last loop on your knitting needle wider and take out the needle. Cut the yarn, leaving several inches. Put the loose yarn end through the loop and pull tight. Thread the tail through the yarn needle and weave the loose yarn through the bottom of the bind-off row to finish.
Tips and warnings
- A dark, solid yarn colour or a tweed is always a safe bet for a masculine scarf.
- Generally, men's scarves are shorter than those made for women.
- If you wish, you may add a short fringe to your men's scarf.
- Take the time to weave the yarn into the scarf, or it may begin to unravel.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for