According to the American Society of Reproductive Health, around 12 per cent of couples are affected by some form of infertility. In order to start or enlarge their families, many couples turn to In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) using eggs from a donor. Egg donors are not paid for the eggs themselves, but they are compensated for their time and effort, which is considerable. The typical egg donor is paid between £3,250 and £6,500. If you are interested in selling your eggs, the steps below will walk you through the egg donation process.
- Skill level:
Determine whether you are eligible to become an egg donor. Each egg donation program has its own criteria, but egg donors are commonly required to be at least 21 and no more than 35 years of age. These rules are in place so that the eggs will have a higher probability to be free of defects.
Apply and be accepted into an egg donation program. This will involve passing both medical and psychological screenings. Once accepted into the program, an infertile couple can choose you to be their egg donor.
Take medication to stop your monthly cycle. Egg donors are given medication for one week or longer that will temporarily halt the normal functioning of their ovaries. This will make your body more responsive to the fertility drugs.
Take injections that will stimulate egg production. You will then receive daily injections for around 10 days in order to cause your ovaries to produce multiple eggs.
Make several visits to the doctor. During the egg donation process the donor must make several visits to the doctor for blood tests and ultrasounds. The test results are used to monitor your progress and determine when the eggs are ready to be harvested.
Undergo surgery to remove the eggs. The egg donor will be placed under general anaesthesia and the eggs will be retrieved via a thin needle. After a few hours of recovery time, you will be released. You will need someone to accompany you and drive you home.
Collect your payment. After the eggs have been donated, you will be paid the amount that was agreed upon when you were selected.
Tips and warnings
- Egg donors have no legal rights or responsibilities to the children that may result from their donation.
- Never have unprotected sex during the egg stimulation phase of the donation process. You could become pregnant much easier than during a normal monthly cycle.
- Egg donation sometimes causes a condition known as Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS) that can be life-threatening in rare cases.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for