There are several ways you can prepare fresh spinach for a healthy side dish. One of the easiest ways is to sauté it in a pan. It only takes a few minutes to make and you will be surprised by how much better fresh spinach tastes than the canned or frozen varieties.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 454gr. of fresh spinach
- Large skillet
- Olive oil
- 1/2 medium size red onion diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic from a jar or 1/2 clove of fresh garlic
Rinse the spinach with cold water under the faucet. Even if your spinach comes in a bag you should still take this extra step to remove any debris or dirt that may have been accidentally packaged.
Coat the bottom of a large skillet with olive oil to prevent sticking
Place the skillet on medium-high heat and allow the skillet to warm up before adding any ingredients to the pan.
Add half of a red onion to the skillet and a pinch of salt. Sauté the onion until it becomes translucent.
Add garlic to the onion and continue to stir the mixture.
After approximately 30 seconds add the spinach to the skillet and continuously stir the mixture.
Allow the spinach to cook for approximately two to three minutes
Remove from heat and place in a bowl for serving
Tips and warnings
- When cooking spinach always buy more than you think you need, as 454gr.of fresh spinach can cook down to less than a cup.
- If using mature spinach, you will also have to remove the leaves from the hard stalks before the rest of the preparation.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for