Brittle nails are a common problem with fingernails. Dryness is often a cause of brittle nails because dry nails grow hard and crack. These dry nails are usually due to dry heat, lack of moisture or harsh chemicals. If you take measures to prevent brittle nails, you won't have to cure them nearly as often. Remember too, that if nails are too soft, they can also be considered brittle and tear. The key is to find a balance; this will fix healthy nails.
Drink water. It may seem simple but hydrated skin also keeps your nails hydrated, fixing brittle nails.
Take Biotin. Biotin is a B vitamin and can help fix brittle nails, especially if your nails are very brittle. Fish oil can also help cure brittle nails. You can find Biotin and fish oil at most grocery stores or health food stores.
Eat a healthy diet. A well-rounded diet that gets you plenty of vitamins and minerals can help fix brittle nails and prevent brittle nails from coming back.
Moisturise hard and brittle nails. If your nails are brittle because they are too hard, moisturiser can help fix the problem and soften your nails. On the other hand, if your nails are soft and brittle, use less moisturiser as you are probably using too much.
Apply specialised products to nails. Beauty supply stores or your dermatologist can provide products that help treat brittle nails. Most products are similar to a nail polish, requiring you to paint the product onto the brittle nails to help cure them.
Things you need
- B vitamins
- Fish oil
- "Jude's Herbal Home Remedies: Natural Health, Beauty & Home-Care Secrets (Living with Nature Series)"; Jude C. Todd; 2002
- "The Green Beauty Guide: Your Essential Resource to Organic and Natural Skin Care, Hair Care, Makeup, and Fragrances"; Julie Gabriel; 2008
- "Rescue Your Nails"; Ji Baek, Barbara Smullen and Deborah Ory; 2008
- "A Complete Guide to Manicure & Pedicure"; Leigh Toselli; 2006
- "The Sheril Bailey Complete Manicuring and Nail Care Handbook"; Sheril Bailey; 1998
- "500 BEAUTY SOLUTIONS:EXPERT ADVICE ON HAIR AND NAIL CARE-WHAT TO BUY AND HOW TO USE IT."; Beth Barrick-Hickey; 1994