Beef stroganoff, a Russian dish, typically includes tender slices of beef with a mushroom sour cream sauce poured over egg noodles or rice. The success of the dish depends entirely on that sauce, and it's one of the last things you make.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp. flour
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 2 1/2 tbsp. sour cream
- 1/4 pt. heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup burgundy or red wine (optional)
Cook 2 tbsp. butter and 1 1/2 tbsp. flour in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Blend the butter and flour with a wooden spoon to form a creamy paste. This is your rue, the base of your sauce.
Bring the rue to a boil and add 1 beef bouillon cube or 1/2 cup beef stock. Bring the ingredients to a boil.
Add 2 1/2 tbsp. sour cream into the saucepan and blend lightly.
Pour 1/4 pt. heavy cream into the saucepan and mix the ingredients together.
Spoon 1 1/2 tbsp. Dijon mustard into the mix and stir together until the sauce is hot.
Continue to stir the sauce until it is completely smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Tips and warnings
- For a richer tasting sauce, consider adding burgundy or red wine to your ingredients.
- Substitute lowfat yogurt in place of the sour cream for a lighter stroganoff sauce.
- Add fresh sauteed mushrooms to your stroganoff sauce to enhance the flavor.
- Make certain that you stir the sauce often to avoid burning.