How to Identify Dual Voltage Appliances

Written by ehow travel editor
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Email

When you travel overseas, you'll probably want to bring some electronic gear with you. For example, you may want to bring your laptop, a hand-held game console or even your hairdryer. Before you travel, you'll want to purchase some adapters so that you can plug in your electronics. You may need a power converter. This depends on whether or not your electronics are dual voltage. If they are, you can save the money on the converter.

Skill level:


  1. 1

    Look at the plug for your electronic device. Determine if the device contains any language about dual voltage.

  2. 2

    Look for a notation about input. When you find that line, determine the voltage the device will accept. If the input is 110V to 240V, your device is dual voltage. You can use a plug adapter, but do not need to use a power converter.

  3. 3

    Purchase a power converter if the device says 110V but does not mention 240V. Your device is not dual voltage.

  4. 4

    Contact your travel agent or a representative at your travel destination before you travel. Plug holes, shapes and sizes vary from country to country.

Tips and warnings

  • On a laptop, the input directions are sometimes on the bottom of the laptop instead of on the power adapter. If you cannot find the input on the adapter, keep looking.
  • When you are overseas, don't leave the converter plugged in when you are not using it. Converters can overheat and may cause a fire if left for too long.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.