MREs, or meals ready to eat, are a staple for the men and women of the armed services. However, MREs are also becoming a staple in many civilian's emergency preparedness plans. An MRE is a compact package that contains an entrée, snacks, a dessert, a drink mix, plastic ware, seasonings, and very often, a heater to heat the entrée. Not all MREs are military grade, and not all are of equal quality.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Buy MREs online from a reputable source, such as MRE Depot. MRE Depot is an emergency preparedness site that primarily fulfills large government and civilian contracts. However, it continues to increase its reach into the personal preparedness market and welcomes orders from individuals. Because MRE Depot caters to large organizations, its stock rotates quickly and is always fresh.
Find MREs for sale at eBay. While the MREs at eBay may be from the same manufacturers sold by reputable emergency preparedness companies, they usually don't have as long a shelf life left to them because they were manufactured longer ago. Make sure you verify the manufacture date and the expiration date before bidding.
Purchase MREs at Army surplus stores. Frequently you can find MREs for sale at Army surplus stores, but as with many of those sold on eBay, they tend to have older manufacture dates, and their expiration dates are out a matter of months to a year rather than 5 years for brand new MREs.
Get MREs at gun shows, where they are very often sold.
Tips and warnings
- Not all MREs are military grade MREs. There are civilian MREs that are just as good, but if you are specifically looking for military-grade MREs, you need to verify that information before purchase.
- Make sure that the MREs you are buying include a heater. Not all do. If it seems like you are getting an incredible deal, make sure the heaters are included. You could be getting shortchanged.
- MREs run anywhere from $40 to $75 per case of 12, depending on what is included. Following emergencies such as hurricane Katrina, MRE prices spiked.
- Expect to pay about $15 for shipping and handling for a case of MREs.
- If you are buying MREs by the case, you generally cannot pick and choose the type of entrees that are included in the case. If you buy them singly, which will cost more, you can.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for