Sure, your friends may tease you that you've seen too many safari movies, but you really want to ride an elephant before you die. Where can you go do this, however? Here are some places where you can fulfill that wish and maybe have a great trip to tell the grandkids about someday.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Travel to Chiang Mai, Thailand for a jungle trek aboard an Asian elephant. Chiang Mai is in the northern, mountainous part of the country, and elephants have been working here for centuries. Lately, more elephants are working as trekkers instead of logging help due to tourist demand. Stop by at the Elephant Nature Park after your ride to learn more about these incredible animals.
Take a safari aboard an African elephant. Currently three South African game lodges offer the chance to ride out into the bush on top of a pachyderm: Camp Jabulani in Limpopo province, Addo Elephant Back Safaris in the Eastern Cape and the Elephant Sanctuary in Gauteng. Botswana's Abu Camp offers a luxury filled elephant safari in the Okavango Delta through a company called Classic Africa.
Pretend that you are back in the days of the Raj by taking an elephant ride in India. The Wildlife Travels offers an 8-day elephant safari package just outside Delhi.
Visit Singapore Zoo for a chance to ride an Asian elephant while enjoying their "open zoo" setting. Animals are separated from the public with moats or glass enclosures, unless you are riding on an elephant. Rides are offered from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. and 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. every day.
Try the Southwick Zoo in Mendon, Massachusetts just outside Boston if you want to stay closer to home. Rides are offered every day to the general public to people who weigh 150 lbs. or less.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Find out more about the Elephant Nature Park in Chiang Mai online.
- Book your Camp Jabulani elephant ride on their official website.
- Check out the official Addo Elephant Back Safari website here.
- Find out about a luxury elephant safari from Classic Africa here.
- Learn more about The Wildlife Travels elephant safari here.
- Visit the Singapore Zoo website here.
- Explore Southwick's Zoo online here.