Vitamin B17 or laetrile was discovered in 1830. It has been said to prevent the growth of cancer, but this claim is not backed by the Food and Drug Administration. For this reason, B17 does not have a Recommended Dietary Allowance. Follow these steps if you are considering taking vitamin B17.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Apricot seeds
- Flax seed and flax seed oil
- Bitter almonds
- Garbanzo beans
Eat Apricot seeds. Some companies manufacture naturally-dried seeds that taste like an apricot spice. It was thought 35 years ago that if one ate 7 apricot seeds a day, they would never acquire cancer for as long as they live. Some people still believe this theory today.
Include flax in your diet. Flax seed and flax seed oil are good sources of B17. Flax seed oil isn't good for cooking, but you can add it to salad dressing recipes and smoothies. Put flax seed in your bread and muffin recipes.
Eat barley to increase your B17 intake. Make barley soup and include barley in all kinds of other recipes from chicken to fish dishes to add a nutty flavor to your food.
Eat bitter almonds, not the common sweet almonds, garbanzo beans and lentils which also are good sources of B17.
Remember you can also choose to take a B17 supplement instead. Since B17 isn't acknowledged as a supplement by the FDA, you won't typically find it in most daily vitamins. You can find it in health food stores and online.
Eat foods rich in vitamin C, other B vitamins, vitamin A, manganese, magnesium, selenium, and zinc. Eating foods rich in B17 will help your body absorb B17 more efficiently.
Tips and warnings
- Some people believe that B17 is like nature's chemotherapy. These same people believe the FDA won't accept B17 as a treatment for cancer because of pressure from the pharmaceutical companies.
- Lots of fruit seeds have B17 including, apple, cherry, peach, and nectarine seeds.
- Be sure to visit and speak with your doctor before taking Vitamin B17. Your doctor will do a nutritional assessment to determien what your baseline nutrition values are.
- B17 contains cyanide. Normal cells in the body can tolerate small quantities of cyanide, but cancer cells cannot. If you have too much cyanide in your system, however, it can be toxic. Symptoms of toxicity include nausea, headaches and low blood pressure.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for