How to get a tourist visa to Brazil

Written by john lister Google
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to get a tourist visa to Brazil
For most visits, Brits don't need a visa. (Getty Thinkstock)

Brazil operates a reciprocal visa scheme, meaning that if your country does not require a visa of visitors from Brazil, you do not need one to visit Brazil. As a result, British citizens do not need a tourist visa to visit Brazil, though their visit is subject to some limitations. If you are not a British citizen, you may need a tourist visa: check with the Brazilian embassy in the country where you have citizenship.

Skill level:
Moderately Easy



  1. 1

    Check your passport is valid and will remain so for at least six months after you will arrive in Brazil. This requirement applies regardless of how long you plan to visit.

  2. 2

    Book a return flight and make sure you have enough money (or proof of access to money) to cover your planned stay. You may need to provide this evidence and your tickets upon arrival in Brazil.

  3. 3

    Complete an entry/exit card upon arrival in Brazil. The card is known locally as a cartao de entrada/saida. You will be given part of this card to hold on to and present upon leaving. Do not lose this card as you may have to pay a fine if you don't have it when leaving.

  4. 4

    Look for the word Prazo on the stamp in your passport after completing immigration. If it has a handwritten number beneath it, this is how many days you are allowed to stay in the country. If it does not, you have been granted the standard 90 days.

    Extending a stay

  1. 1

    Visit a Policia Federal office. These are located in the capital cities of each Brazilian states and at some border towns. Make sure you arrive at least a couple of days before your original entry period is due to expire.

  2. 2

    Request an extension to your trip. In most cases you'll simply need to show a return ticket and proof that you have enough money to cover extending your stay.

  3. 3

    Buy a DARF (federal revenue collection document) if told to do so. You will usually be able to buy one outside the police officer or from a stationery shop (a papelaria.) Fill it out then take it to a bank and get it stamped, then hand it in at the police station. It can be hit and miss whether the police officials require you to do this.

  4. 4

    Check how long your extension period is; it's normally an extra 90 days. Make sure you leave Brazil before this time is up. However, once you leave, you cannot return to Brazil until the extension period has ended.

Tips and warnings

  • Do not attempt to work while in Brazil. This violates the terms of being allowed to enter without a visa.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.