How Does an Irish Shamrock Houseplant Grow?

Written by megan smith
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How Does an Irish Shamrock Houseplant Grow?

What Is an Irish Shamrock?

Irish shamrocks are green vegetation rumoured to grow only in Irish soil. This is just a myth, however, and Irish shamrocks can grow just about anywhere. Shamrock is an Irish word meaning "little clover." Shamrocks grow most commonly outdoors among grass. Shamrocks are sometimes known as "white clover" for their round, white flowers that bloom during the spring. Irish shamrocks are best associated with the myth that there is at least one four-leaf clover in each patch of Irish shamrock, and if you find this clover, it is a good-luck charm.

Growing Irish Shamrock as a Houseplant

Irish shamrock is a hardy plant that grows well indoors as well as outdoors. The best way to ensure that your shamrock plant grows strong and healthy is to establish its roots early in its germination. Shamrock grows in a similar way to grass, establishing long, narrow roots that go deep into the ground. Keep these roots strong by fertilising about once a month with an all-purpose fertilising liquid such as MiracleGro. Do not overwater. Shamrock is virtually disease-free when growing in a contained pot indoors, but keep on the lookout for wilting. If your shamrock begins to wilt or turn yellow, you may be overwatering it. Prevent root rot by watering your plant no more than twice a week.

Warnings About Irish Shamrock Houseplants

Irish shamrock may be poisonous to your cat or dog. Do not keep Irish shamrock in your house if you have a pet. Although outdoor cats and dogs are also exposed to Irish shamrock, they are only at risk when they are in an area with large amounts of shamrock and ingest it. Because shamrock usually grows in small patches, there is not much of a health risk for outdoor pets. If you have a large container of Irish shamrock growing in your house, place it in a high or enclosed area where your pet cannot reach it. Irish shamrock is not harmful to humans if eaten. If it's ingested in large amounts by a cat or dog, the pet may experience dizziness, disorientation and stomach problems.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.