Are maple tree seeds toxic to dogs?

Written by tracy hodge
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Are maple tree seeds toxic to dogs?
Red maple trees are toxic to dogs. (Red Maple tree image by Mr. D from Fotolia.com)

Dog owners should educate themselves regarding poisonous plants to ensure the safety of their dog. The red maple tree is lovely and changes to vivid shades of red in the fall. However, the red maple tree and its seeds are toxic if ingested by dogs.

Other People Are Reading

Identification

Red maple trees are named for their vivid colouring and are found in swampy areas, as well as dry slopes. Red maple leaves are three to four inches long and fruit known as maple keys develop in stalks, becoming ripe in May or June. Maple keys have seeds on each end that are also red in colour.

Potential

Red maple leaves and seeds are toxic, according to Vet Info.com. Ingestion of red maple leaves or seeds often causes serious illness in dogs.

Effects

Red maple poisoning in dogs causes symptoms such as lethargy, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, inflamed paws, darkened membranes of the eyes and mouth and a change in the colour of the dog's urine. According to Vet Info.com, red maple poisoning also causes impaired function of the dog's red blood cells.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.