Are Gerbera Daisies Toxic?

Written by samantha belyeu
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Are Gerbera Daisies Toxic?
Gerbera daisies are non-toxic. (gerbera image by Anna Khomulo from Fotolia.com)

Gerbera daisies (Gerbera jamesonii, also known as Gerber daisies, Barberton daisies or Transvaal daisies) are short perennial flowers with 2 to 3-inch flat, colourful blooms and dark green, ruffled foliage. Gardeners often grow them indoors as annuals.

Other People Are Reading

Humans

The California Poison Control System lists gerbera daisies and any gerbera species as non-toxic to humans. However, the site warns that listing a plant as non-toxic does not mean that it will not cause nausea or vomiting if consumed in large quantities. If in doubt, call the poison control centre.

Pets

Both the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, and the California Poison Control System, list gerbera daisies as non-toxic to pets. The ASPCA specifically mentions that this plant is not toxic to cats, horses and dogs.

Precautions

A plant that is not toxic may still induce allergic reactions in susceptible people and animals, according to the California Poison Control System. Dogs, especially, may eat large quantities of the plant before discomfort sets in. Children may get pieces of the plant stuck in their windpipe and choke on it. Keep gerbera daisy out of reach of children and animals for their safety and the safety of your plants!

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.