Having a metallic or foul, bitter taste in the mouth is called dysgeusia. Treating this condition at home includes consuming citric juices, cloves, cinnamon, baking soda water or salt water.
A metallic taste is a known symptom of teeth and gum problems. Gingivitis (gum disease), the breakdown of dental work and poor oral hygiene can present this symptom.
Lead or mercury poisoning symptoms can cause a metallic taste in the mouth; copper toxicity can nausea, diarrhoea and vomiting. With lead poisoning, a blue-grey line forms along the gums, along with the metallic taste.
Medication Side Effects
Several medications have a metallic taste as a side effect, such as Capoten, which is used to treat high blood pressure; lithium, used to treat bipolar disorder; and Biaxin, an antibiotic.
Women taking prenatal vitamins, antibiotics and antidepressants may experience a metallic taste in their mouth.
When oestrogen levels fluctuate, a metallic taste in the mouth can sometimes occur.
Treatments for metallic taste in the mouth include breath mints, brushing your teeth and scraping your tongue afterward, and mixing a teaspoon of salt into water for a mouth rinse.