Red wine allergy symptoms

Written by kenneth coppens | 13/05/2017

Allergies to red wine are fairly common. The reaction can be from the alcohol, or from chemicals called salicylates that are found in grapes. Most symptoms are apparent within minutes of drinking the wine. If you have any of the following symptoms, you may have an allergy. It is not necessary to see a doctor unless the symptoms are extreme or last longer than a day.


The nasal and sinus cavities will become congested shortly after drinking the wine.


A headache may occur partly as a result of the pressure caused by the sinus congestion.


Your skin may become flushed or break out in rashes. There may also be an itching sensation without any apparent skin discolourations.


Nausea is a common symptom and extreme allergies may result in vomiting. See a doctor if you are vomiting profusely.


A severe allergic reaction can cause minor swelling of the face, feet, and hands.


You may experience asthma-like symptoms such as shortness of breath and wheezing. Get to the doctor if breathing becomes extremely difficult.

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.