Pine pollen is that yellowish sap particles that get on cars and other objects during the spring. Most people do not feel effects of pine pollen allergies because the particles are so heavy that they fall straight down instead of blowing in the wind to contact people. However, many people are allergic to pine pollen, even though the contact with it is limited. If you sneeze, wheeze and cough when you see this pollen, you may be allergic to pine pollen.
Detect pine pollen easily by its yellow colour. In addition, the sappy texture makes it stick to most surfaces so you will see it on your car, lawn furniture and anything else that sits outside during pollen season. Take care to avoid direct contact if you think you are allergic. Wear gloves to clean this pollen off your outdoors furniture and wear a pollen mask to keep the pollen particles from getting into your airways through your nose or mouth. Wear long-sleeved shirts and long trousers to clean objects covered with this pollen.
Sneezing, coughing, wheezing, itchy, watery eyes and even skin rashes are symptoms of pine pollen allergy. More symptoms include a very itchy nose and overall feeling of itchiness on any part of the skin but pronounced itchiness on exposed body parts. Some people develop swollen skin under the eyes (bags under the eyes), and the skin there may turn blue. Some people will complain that their food has lost taste or they cannot smell their food.
When anyone, including a person who is not allergic to pine pollen, contacts a particle that goes up her nose, the person will sneeze to expel the object. However, the allergic person reacts differently. He will sneeze repeatedly, and his system will release histamine. This causes the nasal passages to swell, which results in nasal congestion. The person's face may redden, and the nose will look red and may become sore to the touch. The eyes will look glassy.
Pine pollen is prevalent where pine trees grow. Since the pollen is so thick and heavy, it does not blow far in the wind, so you will only find pine pollen close to the trees. Pine trees can grow almost everywhere in the United States. If you have severe allergic symptoms to pine trees, you may consider cutting down any pine trees on your property or buy a home devoid of pine trees. Learn to recognise pine trees (see Resources below) and avoid them.
Do not assume you are allergic to pine pollen because you have all the symptoms. Many trees produce pollen at the same time of year as pines, and many of these pollens are lighter and travel farther. They may be the real culprits. Ask your health care provider to test you for allergies to determine if this is a pine pollen allergy.