Why Does Mold Grow in the Corners of My House?

Getty Thinkstock

Mould is a type of fungus that plagues many homeowners. This is because mould spores are constantly floating through the home looking for a place to land and reproduce. When they do they bring visible mould growth that not only looks bad, but that can actually cause serious health issues.

You may notice mould growth in corners of your home where dampness accumulates with little ventilation.

About mould

Mould is a fungus responsible for decaying organic matter such as dead plants. In order to live and reproduce, it needs water and organic material. Some types of mould can even use the moisture in the air to survive. This means that mould can grow virtually anywhere in your home, especially if you live in a humid climate.

Conditions for mould growth

Because mould needs water and organic matter to survive, it tends to grow in areas of your home with water leaks, moist air and condensation. This includes laundry rooms, bathrooms, crawlspaces, attics and basements. Mould also cannot grow where there is a lot of ventilation because the air current pushes mould from the area. This is why mould will tend to settle in the corners of your home.

Mould prevention

Prevent mould from growing by enhancing your home's ventilation with ceiling and bathroom fans and making sure your ventilation system works properly. If mould still continues to grow in your home's corners, install a dehumidifier. Dehumidifiers remove moisture from the air and will make the entire home less hospitable for mould growth.

Cleaning mould

Clean mould from corners in your home as soon as you notice it. If you let mould grow, it can cause health issues, and it will easily spread to other areas of your home. To clean it, mix 240 ml (one cup) bleach with 4.5 litres (one gallon) water. Spray the bleach solution into the corners and let it sit for several minutes before scrubbing the mould loose and wiping the entire area up with clean cloths. Rinse the area with clear water and dry it completely. Always make sure the room is well ventilated when using bleach.