How to Qualify for an Amex Black Card
The Amex Black Card (also called the Centurion Card) carries a reputation of prestige and is marketed as the "world's rarest American Express card." Its application criteria are shrouded in secrecy to retain its exclusivity, and only those invited by Amex can apply.
Qualifying for the Amex Black Card gives rise to a number of user benefits, such as discounted flight tickets, perks at some of the world's most exclusive hotel chains and special cardholder concierge services.
- The Amex Black Card (also called the Centurion Card) carries a reputation of prestige and is marketed as the "world's rarest American Express card."
- Qualifying for the Amex Black Card gives rise to a number of user benefits, such as discounted flight tickets, perks at some of the world's most exclusive hotel chains and special cardholder concierge services.
Apply for an Amex Platinum Card for personal or business use.
Use your Amex Platinum Card frequently and always pay your outstanding balance as required.
Spend more than £162,500 in one year on your card, either through your business or personal expenditures. While invitations are at the discretion of American Express, they tend to be offered to customers of good standing, transacting more than £162,500 a year.
Continue to use and pay off your card on a regular basis as you await an invitation from American Express for an upgrade to the Black Card.
- Make sure your accounts with American Express are kept in good order by always paying your bills and frequently using your cards.
- To avoid damaging your credit score, never miss a payment.
- Set up automatic payment instructions with your bank to ensure your balance is paid off at the end of every month.
- If you run a business, use your American Express card to process business expenses to help meet the threshold annual spending requirements for the Black Card.
- If you don't meet the eligibility criteria for an Amex Platinum Card, apply for a card with less stringent application criteria to start building your reputation and credit profile with American Express.
- The Amex Black Card is not a credit card, so you need to pay the balance in full every month.
- To apply for the Amex Black Card you need to pay both a one-time fee of £3,250 and an annual fee of £1,625 in the U.S., or equivalent fees if you live in any of the other qualifying territories.
David Ferguson has been a freelance Web writer since 2005, writing for various online media, including a feature in "Personal Branding Magazine" in 2008. Ferguson qualified with an English language and English literature joint master's degree from the University of Glasgow.