You need more space to hang clothes, but the closet is too small. A portable polyvinyl chloride (PVC) clothes rack is the perfect solution. This lightweight, disassembled clothes rack fits comfortably into a closet for storage. It can be effortlessly packed into a car for travel and easily assembled within moments of arrival at your destination. It also doubles as an excellent clothes drying rack or a garage sale clothing rack. With a few inexpensive items, you can build a portable, freestanding clothes rack that lasts for years.
Measure 40 inches, 80 inches and 100 inches from the end of one 10-foot PVC pipe, making an indicator with a marker at each measurement location. Repeat this process with the second 10-foot PVC pipe.
Safely cut through one PVC pipe at each of these marks, using a handsaw. You now have four pipe pieces - two 40-inch pieces and two 20-inch pieces. Repeat this process with the second 10-foot PVC piece.
Sand rough edges from the pipe pieces using 100-grit sandpaper.
Attach an elbow joint to each end of one 40-inch pipe length. Fit a 40-inch pipe piece into the remaining openings on the two end elbow joints. You now have a U-shaped PVC piece with three 40-inch sides.
Fit a 4-way joint on the end of each 40-inch side of the U shape. The opening facing up on the 4-way joint attaches to the 40-inch length. The other openings are used to create the clothes rack feet. Insert the remaining 40-inch piece into the two 4-way joint openings that form a square from the U shaped piece. Set the square upright with the 4-way joints on the bottom.
Insert a 20-inch PVC length in each of the four remaining openings in the two 4-way joints. This creates feet that are perpendicular to the sides, providing stability for the clothes rack. Tap the feet into the 4-way joints using a rubber mallet.
Hang clothing across the top bar of the square rack.
- All items needed for the freestanding rack are available at home improvement centres and hardware stores.
- The PVC tubing is easily covered with spray paint if a colour other than white is desired.
- By leaving the joints unglued, the rack can be taken apart and easily moved to another location and reassembled.
- The PVC rack is excellent for line drying clothing when the weather is not cooperating. It is also handy for those garments that you don't want exposed to the heat of a dryer.
- Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images