How to reset a home alarm after a power outage
Many homeowners install alarm systems to ensure that their home is protected from intruders at all times. But if your home experiences a power outage, the lack of AC power could leave your home temporarily unprotected.
To avoid this problem, modern home alarm systems often include a backup battery function to prevent the electricity to your system from being disrupted during power outages. However, even with a backup battery, some alarm systems may display an error message after the AC power comes back on. You'll have to reset the system to clear the error message.
- Many homeowners install alarm systems to ensure that their home is protected from intruders at all times.
- However, even with a backup battery, some alarm systems may display an error message after the AC power comes back on.
Locate the "System" or "System Status" button on your home alarm keypad. Press the button twice, in quick succession, to silence the "No AC Power" alarm.
Wait until the AC power is restored to your home. Take the system's backup battery out of the alarm keypad.
Lift the cover of the circuit breaker box and find the breaker that controls your home alarm system. Move the breaker into the fully "Off" position; flip the breaker back to the "On" position after five minutes have passed.
Replace the backup battery in the home alarm keypad. Install a brand new battery, if desired; note that most home alarm manufacturers recommend replacing the backup battery every 12 to 15 months. Install a new battery any time you get a low-battery message on the alarm control panel.
- Wait until the AC power is restored to your home.
- Install a new battery any time you get a low-battery message on the alarm control panel.
Enter your user code into the home alarm keypad; press the "Off" button. Re-enter your user code and press the "Off" button a second time to reset the alarm system.
- "Cheap and Easy Appliance Repair"; Douglas Emley; 2003
- ADT Security Services: Safewatch Pro/Entrepreneur/Security Manager User's Guide
- ADT Security Services: Lynx Security System User Guide
- After an alarm system reset, you may have to reprogram some of the system's custom settings. Follow the prompts on the alarm keypad to reset custom security system features.
- The instructions for resetting a home alarm after a power outage vary by brand and model. Contact your alarm manufacturer to obtain resetting instructions that are specific to your security system.
Megan Mattingly-Arthur has been writing professionally since 1998. She has contributed to various publications, including "Teen Voices" and "Positive Teens" magazines, as well as a book, "The Young Writer's Guide to Getting Published." Mattingly-Arthur is studying travel and tourism through Penn Foster Career School.