How to Remove Coffee Stains from a Book's Pages
coffee and coffee-beans image by Dmitri MIkitenko from Fotolia.com
Settling down with a good book and a cup of coffee is a relaxing way to spend part of your day. Should some of your coffee end up on the pages of your book, it could result in brown-stained pages that might stick together. Act fast to remove coffee stains using supplies from home.
Even if the stain is old, it's possible to remove it and restore your book's pages to a much better condition.
Measure 3/4 cup of white vinegar and 1/4 cup of water, and then mix them together in a bowl. Make sure the bowl is large enough for you to dunk the stained area of the book's pages in the water.
writing book image by AGphotographer from Fotolia.com
Soak the stained area in the vinegar solution long enough to saturate the pages but not so long that the liquid wicks further into the page than necessary.
- Settling down with a good book and a cup of coffee is a relaxing way to spend part of your day.
- Soak the stained area in the vinegar solution long enough to saturate the pages but not so long that the liquid wicks further into the page than necessary.
sauber image by Victoria p. from Fotolia.com
Remove the book from the vinegar solution and then lay it down on a clean towel. Blot the stained pages with white paper towels by placing the paper towels on top of and underneath the page and pressing together. Continue to blot, using fresh paper towels, until there's no further transfer of moisture onto the paper towels.
Prepare a solution of 1/3 cup of bleach and 2/3 cup of water, and use this to remove any remaining coffee stains. Apply the bleach solution with a toothbrush and lightly scrub the coffee-stained areas. Use paper towels to blot all moisture from the paper.
iron image by Eray Haciosmanoglu from Fotolia.com
Lay waxed paper between the pages that were cleaned and then iron each page with a clothing iron set on the low or medium setting. This will smooth out the pages, as well as dry them.
- Remove the book from the vinegar solution and then lay it down on a clean towel.
- Apply the bleach solution with a toothbrush and lightly scrub the coffee-stained areas.
- Preventive measures are always the best; keep drinks away from your books and papers.
- Supervise young children any time you use an iron.
Mary Ylisela is a former teacher with a Bachelor of Arts in elementary education and mathematics. She has been a writer since 1996, specializing in business, fitness and education. Prior to teaching, Ylisela worked as a certified fitness instructor and a small-business owner.